The mission of the Financial Economics Institute is to provide unique research, curricular, and extracurricular opportunities engaging the Claremont Colleges in both the theory and practice of financial economics.
First, the FEI supports collaborative, advanced student/faculty research in financial economics and overlapping disciplines.
Second, the FEI prepares students for career opportunities in finance through a variety of programs:
- The Financial Economics Sequence is a unique curriculum grounded in rigorous quantitative courses in the liberal arts context.
- The FEI also oversees students’ Senior Thesis on finance
- The semester-long Fintech Practicum (ECON 181) offers students the opportunity to solve real-world financial problems in a professional setting.
Third, the FEI sponsors activities for the broader community:
- Oversight of the Student Investment Fund
- Support the Smart Women Securities chapter on campus
- Organizing the FinTech Hackathon for The Claremont Colleges
- Provision of accounting, economic, and financial databases for The Claremont Colleges as well as space and hardware for the benefit of our students
- Guest Speaker Series that are open to all students
- Support for conferences, workshops, internships, networking trips, and other events